St. Martin, also known as Sint Maarten, is a palm fringed, and sun drenched island, and one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean. This island has a dual personality in the sense that; the northern part of the island has French influences, and the southern side oozes Dutch warmth. Well, the border that’s between them is basically non existent, and tourists can enjoy everything found in either part of the island. Whether you opt for the Dutch side or French side, you’ll find this magnificent island to be a very entertaining family destination.
The Dutch side bustles with wide boardwalks, sprawling resorts, lively beaches, and more. While French side features an harbor that’s filled with brightly colored boats and stunning houses which have been built up into cliffs. Due to the French influence, you will also enjoy some of the most delicious food in the Caribbean.
St Martin is actually a great destination for a family vacation, and offers plenty of activities for children and adults alike. Whether you prefer diving, surfing, kite surfing, wakeboarding, windsurfing, or if relaxing and sun basking on the island’s white sandy beaches is more of your style, there’s something for every member of the family in this superb haven of pleasure. Here are some of the best things for families to do in St. Martin:
- A Trip To The Beach – Beaches are among the top attractions of St. Martin, and one of the most popular kid friendly activities to partake while in St. Martin, is a trip to the beach. Some of the most kid friendly beaches include:
- Le Galleon beach – This beach is located on the northeast section, and it provides a calm and beautiful sanctuary for kids. It is located near the butterfly farm and has shallow, clean waters which are perfect for snorkeling.
- Orient beach – This is a wonderful family destination and offers lots of activities including, but not limited to; kite surfing, wind surfing, jet skiing, para sailing, body surfing, and snorkeling. It also has an underwater marine reserve bay where numerous water sports are available, including snorkeling.
- Mullet Bay beach – It’s a great place for kids with boogie boards, and for kids who like surfing.
- Check Out the St Martin Butterfly Farm – The Butterfly farm is located near the Le Galleon Beach on the eastern side of the island, and is a perfect place for seeing and learning about butterflies. The Butterfly Farm has very rare varieties of butterflies such as the Blue Morpho and Tree Nymph, and a trip to this farm will be both fun and educational. You can visit the farm early in the day when the butterflies are most active as they look for an early meal.
- Visit St Martin Zoo – A visit to the St Martin Zoo can be a pleasant morning activity for the kids. The zoo is located in Phillipsburg, and children will enjoy seeing a wide variety of animals. They can even hand feed the Macaws, or throw nuts at the monkeys.
Best Time of The Year Visit St. Martin
The best time to visit Saint Martin, is between November and mid December, and between May and June; these are the times when the weather is pleasant, and the prices are relatively low.