The small Greek island of Patmos is situated in the Aegean sea and is most renowned for being where Saint John’s vision and writing of the Bible’s Book of Revelations took place. For this reason, it is an important and ancient pilgrimage site for Christians. Visitors can see the Cave of the Apocalypse where the book was written as well as monasteries dedicated to the saint, which were declared World Heritage Sites by UNESCO along with the capital and historical city of Chora. Today, along with its intense spiritual significance, the island boasts a unique beauty with its sheer cliffs and volcanic soil which draws people from all over the world to its shores.
Our focus is a bit different though, here are our top romantic activities in Patmos, because every beach island calls for a bit of romance:
- Grab your beloved’s hand and just go for a stroll – this sleepy beach town is full of historical pathways, hidden alleys, remote chapels and monuments of nature. Enjoy your time together and the tranquility of this special place.
- Check out the old windmills that are still in operation by the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian, some of the few that are left operational in Greece.
- Rent a scooter and head off to some beaches, pack a picnic of some Greek pastries and a bottle of Greek wine.
- Psili Ammos Beach – features crystal-clear waters and golden sand dunes
- Agrio Livadi Beach – a long sandy beach with small pebbles. Sun beds and water sports are available here
- Agios Theologos Beach – also know as ‘Wave Beach’ it is frequented by body surfers and there is kite surfing not too far away
- Lampi Beach – is a beach known for its gorgeous and characteristic pebbles and the colorful rocks on its right side with interesting formations from the corrosion
- Kampos Beach – is long, sandy, golden and quiet. You would need to carry your own umbrella, as the beach has no facilities
- Hop on a boat and take a day cruise through some beautiful Greek island scenery.
Really anything you do here on this island can be romantic with the right company. Enjoy Patmos!