In a state well known in the world of sports for its world-class downhill skiers and dog sled mushers, golf in Alaska is overwhelmingly gaining popularity. With long summer days and the added wildlife attraction on the golf courses, Alaska Golf is gaining traction. There are various golf courses located conveniently around the state. Most of them feature picturesque views of the surrounding attractive mountains. Admittedly, golf playing season is relatively short here, and that’s why you have all the reasons to tee off during the long summer days or even nights.
- Black Diamond Golf – Would you like to tee off under the midnight sun while surrounded by the Alaskan wild? The fresh mountain air, spectacular panoramic scenery, and the relaxing environment make playing nine-hole golf in this golf course a one-time lifetime opportunity. Black Diamond Golf Course was constructed in 1995, right on the top-most part of the Alaskan tundra. The craggy grass is designed for easy walking or driving (via power cart). Hazards include tundra marsh, local Fox moose-hoof prints which steals your ball off the second green.
- Anchorage Golf Course – It is any golfer’s dream to hit a straight tee shot down a green fairway featuring snow-capped peaks that climb high around the golf player. Anchorage Golf Course makes this dream come true. The public course blends challenging golf with stunning scenery. As you enjoy playing, you will take in the beautiful views of the Cook Inlet, the Anchorage skyline, Chugach Mountains and Mt. McKinley.
- Bear Valley Golf Course – Always open from May to September, Bear Valley Golf Course is the only golf course located on an island. The nine-hole course boasts a full service driving range and pro shop. It is operated by the Coast Guard of the United States, but it is open to the public. This golf course opens very early and closes very late (two hours before sunset). What this means is that you will have the opportunity to enjoy some late and early rounds during summer solstice!
- Birch Ridge Golf Course – Birch Ridge is nine hole, full-length golf course featuring separate tee boxes for back and front nines. Stretched out to a whopping 3,200 yards, you won’t get a more challenging and entertaining golfing experience anywhere. Its greens are amazingly contoured and continuously rated by state club professionals as one of the best greens in Alaska. The fairways are lined by native trees and Alaskan tundra giving real meaning to the term “tough.”
- Chena Bend Golf Course – Chena Bend is the home of the farthest north golf course. This golf course is located between the Chena Bend River and east end of Fort Wainwright airfield. It features many holes located along the river. This course has been ranked as the number one Golf Course in Alaska several times by Golf Digest. The world-class course boasts a 24-hour driving range, 18-hole course, 6,476-yard, par-72, sand bunker, golf carts, and putting green. The state-of-the-art golf course is increasingly becoming a favorite among family members, soldiers, civilians, as well as retirees.